How Safe is Your Beauty Kit? Here's a List of Harmful Chemicals to Watch Out For.

4:38 AM Cintamuni 1 Comments

We want to be beautiful and we want to make sure we are safe from harmful chemicals that are present in almost all of the beauty products that are out there in the market everywhere. Now how safe is your beauty product?

In my recent addiction for organic beauty products, I learned that not all organic products are safe as they claim to be, and that we should be wise in buying. Some will put special oils, saying product is made of organic ingredients, but still has large amounts of harmful chemicals on it. See the list below I gathered from my research to check which products to avoid purchasing, or to use minimally. I have the complete list now, I hope, whereas before, I just remember paraben, and when there is paraben, I'll be reluctant to purchase a product.

The List

1. Parabens - tagged as the bad-ass of all harmful chemicals found on cosmetics/beauty products. This is an ingredient used as preservatives for moisturizers and lotions. Shampoos also contain parabens.

2. Petrochemicals - Suspected carcinogens are in food colors FD&C pigments which are pretty common I noticed, said to be made from coal tar.

3.  Phthalates - has Dibutylphthalate and diethylphthalate (DBP, DEP, also butyl ester) helps lotion absorbed into the skin faster.

4. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - found in shampoos. This is a known carcinogen and causes allergic reactions and contact dermatitis, headaches, etc.

5. Glycols - There types of glycols that are not proven harmful. The only types we need to avoid are: ethylene glycol, carbitol, and diethylene glycol --  these are used as moisturizers.

6. Formaldehyde - Formaline, we know this isn't good. See also Diazolidinyl Urea or Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, which is a  formaldehyde releaser. We don't want to be fooled so be familiar with these as well: diazolidinyl urea (or 3-diol diazolidinyl urea) 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1 (or bronopol) DMDM hydantoin. These can either be found in nail polishes, shampoos, including baby shampoos, or liquid body soaps.

7. Oxybenzone - photo carcinogen. It comes from benzophenone, known to attack DNA when illuminated. Usually found in sunscreens. It can penetrate and photosensitize the skin. (What?)

8. Cosmetic Fragrances and synthetic fragrances used in perfumes.

Yes, we can control the amount of chemicals we consume, and yes, we can find real organic stuff  to be our new bestfriends, just be aware of the above, some contain very little amounts.

Well, there you go. I've yet to check my beauty kit at home whether they contain these. For one, I know my TBS (The Body Shop) body butter has paraben, oops! I know!



But I will not throw this away, no. Will just use it once in a while. It's a spa body butter, so whenever I do deep scrubbing, that's the only time I would need some deep moisturizing. Also, I know that a couple of my korean-branded beauty stuff contains a couple of hazards, too, that I need to save for future posts when I do their reviews.

Anyway, my O.N.E. Naturales buys are said to have controlled amount of SLS, and other harmful chemicals, so that's a good ONE! See http://www.watsonsbeautyfinds.com.ph/one_naturales_solid_shampoo.aspx
Read more:

http://www.healthy-communications.com/8coschemicals.htm
http://www.madefromearth.com/content/harmful-ingredients-skincare-products
http://lotionsecrets.com/glossaryharmful.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

You Might Also Like

1 comments:

Helpful info Chan. I should read the label first before buying next time. :)